Patriots Tailgate Party
Recipe and Décor
For New England football fans, a Patriots tailgate party represents the ultimate celebration of their favorite team's phenomenal athletic ability and success as a member of the NFL.
Tailgate parties occur before, during and after a football game in the parking lots of stadiums, arenas or other sporting venues. All somebody has to do is flip down the tailgate of their SUV or truck, find some people willing to party, gather some food, drinks, a portable barbecue and a plan to dedicate the next few hours to rooting on their team and enjoying the company of friends and family.
Preparing for a Great Tailgate Party
Since this tailgate party revolves around the New England Patriots, you will want your party items to reflect the Patriots logo, a blue and white man' profile wearing a Revolutionary War-style hat:
- At the Patriots official site, you will find all kinds of novelties with which to decorate your tailgate party. For $3.95 a sheet, you can purchase sticker sheets containing self-adhesive images of the Patriots emblem. Obtain a huge piece of poster board and cover it with stickers as well as pictures you have printed out on your computer to let everyone know this is an exclusive Patriots tailgate party.
- Fifteen-ounce drinking glasses are also available at the Patriots website, etched with the Patriots logo and name. Buy an eight feet by 32 inch red Heritage Helmet Banner featuring past New England Patriots helmets (since 1960) and hang it proudly from the top of your antenna.
- Have a dart-throwing tournament for entertainment by ordering an official Patriots magnetic dartboard. Other popular tailgate party games are cornhole, ladder golf, beer pong and tailgate horseshoes. Of course, throwing the football is the number one pastime at any tailgate party. Have Frisbees or kick balls on hand for younger kids who are not old enough to play adult games. Buy some poster paint and let the kids paint each other's faces. Let the kids paint the adult's faces as well.
- Make sure to pack enough chairs, paper towels, paper plates, plastic utensils and garbage bags to make the event a pleasant and stress-free experience. Nobody will want to leave to get these items if they are needed because everybody will be having too much fun!
- For a Patriots tailgate party, you can either cook the food prior to the game or cook it right in the parking lot. If everybody knows about the tailgate party, ask them to bring something along, such as a covered dish, soda, chips and other snacks.
A Favorite Tailgating Recipe
Good food will add to your Patriots tailgate party experience and the best foods are tasty easy to eat finger foods. A good finger food recipe, which will make about 30 meatballs, is Swedish meatballs:
- 3/4 pound of ground chuck hamburger
- 3/4 pound of ground pork
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of onions, finely chopped
- 2 slices of white bread
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
You can make this several hours before your Patriots tailgate party begins. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. Pour milk into small bowl and put torn bread pieces in the milk. Over medium heat, sauté one tablespoon of butter and then add a pinch of salt and onions. Cook until onions are soft and set the pan aside. Combine milk and bread mix with pork, ground chuck, one teaspoon of salt, egg yolks, nutmeg, onions, allspice and pepper. Beat for about two minutes on medium speed.
Shape meat into one-ounce balls and place on baking sheet. Using the remaining butter, sauté meatballs over medium heat, cooking them until done. Then add flour to the sauteed meatballs, brown for about two minutes, and finally add the cream and beef stock. Cook meatballs until gravy thickens.
Stick toothpicks in each meatball and serve at your Patriots tailgate party, along with cold drinks, noisemakers and hours of entertainment that will make your tailgate party a fun-filled, festive time for all.